Dr. Mitchell Kusy, a 2005 Fulbright Scholar in Organization Development, is a full professor in the Graduate School of Leadership & Change at Antioch University in Yellow Springs, Ohio, with campuses in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, California; Keene, New Hampshire; and Seattle, Washington. A registered organization development consultant, Mitch has consulted with hundreds of organizations nationally and internationally; he has been a keynote speaker around the globe. Mitch has helped create organizational communities of respectful engagement, facilitated large-scale systems to successful cha........
How do you most effectively coach toxic personalities? This may make you scratch your head because your experiences may reveal that they often get away with bad behaviors-and coaching fails. Until now! , But first it is important to understand what makes them tick. "Toxic people are often known as narcissists, bullies, and clever chameleons who knock down, but kiss up," said Dr. Mitch Kusy, author of his newly released book, Why I Don't Work Here Anymore: A Leader's Guide to Offset the Financial and Emotional Costs of Toxic Employees. Second, because shaming, manipulative, and belittling in public and private as their modus operandi, all leaders need to understand the system components that give them their power. Third, working with organizational leaders, HR often feels the angst they cause, but may be unaware of how prevalent they are or how much damage they cost-in terms of money and team performance! This webinar concludes with the top practices that HR and leader can engage to both deal with toxic personalities once they are in your organization, as well as how to prevent these Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydes from ever entering your company!
Why should you attend?
- Toxic people cost money! To find out how much, you will complete Dr. Kusy's Toxic Cost Worksheet to determine in 2 minutes their cost in your organization.
- Understand Dr. Kusy's extensive 3-year national study of over 400 individuals provides-and what this means to your organization.
- Experience innovative and simple recruiting practices and templates to avoid hiring these narcissistic personas in the first place.
- Tailor the coaching to whether the toxic person is a direct report, a peer, or yes? even one's boss!
- Use a new form of exit interviews to better identify toxic bosses.
- Complete several inventories to identify toxic buffers and toxic protectors who enable toxic people to get away with bad behavior.
- In less than 5 minutes revamp performance management to create work cultures of everyday civility.
- Experience a team assessment instrument used to compare work teams in your organization to a national sample-to erode uncivil behaviors and strengthen everyday team civility.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- How can HR reduce the severity of these toxic behaviors? With 92% of employees rated the range of severity of toxic work behaviors 7 to 10 on a 10-point scale, HR professionals will understand how to turn this around.
- How can HR assess team climate with a simple and innovative assessment tool? 94% of employees have worked with a toxic person in the past 5 years: 87% reported that team climate worsened. HR leaders will experience this unique team assessment tool.
- What are top HR strategies to reduce turnover of good people who quit because of a toxic colleague? 51% of your organization's top talents are likely to quit because of a toxic person; 12% actually do! HR professionals will understand the top 3 strategies to reduce turnover.
- How can HR prevent the erosion of your business by customers witnessing toxic employee behaviors? 92% of your customers who witness a toxic interchange between two employees tell others. Stop this now!
- What can HR do to increase the importance of reporting toxic behaviors? Only 6% of individuals impacted by a toxic person ever filed a formal complaint. You need to increase this so HR better understands the impact toxic people on your organization.
Who can Benefit:
- HR leaders
- HR practitioners
- Talent development professionals
- Organization development professionals
- Leadership coaches