Stuart Silverman has been practicing law for 30 years and is the principal of the Law Offices of Stuart M. Silverman, P.A., located in Boca Raton, Florida. The emphasis of his practice is in the area of labor and employment law, and business and commercial litigation. Mr. Silverman has represented both private and public employers, as well as individual employees in a whole host of complex business disputes and employment settings at administrative levels, and state and federal trial and appellate courts. His extensive employment litigation experience includes claims under age, race, sex discr........
Employers must terminate employees from time to time in order to run
their businesses effectively. In today's
litigious world, terminating employees is an emotional and legal minefield for
managers and supervisors.Even subtle
differences in preparing for and conducting terminations can impact greatly the
level of legal risk, and whether an employer faces a claim that may cost six
figures (or more) in potential liabilities and litigation costs.This webinar will give you knowledge on basic employment
laws at the federal & state level and practical strategies about the
process of termination.
Why should you attend?
Terminations - whether they
involve a single employee or a large-scale layoff - are never easy. Although it
is one of the most displeasing sides of business management and ownership, it
is sometime absolutely necessary. Along
with the emotional stress they cause, terminations can also pose enormous legal
risks. Whether its insubordination, poor performance, or incompatibility you
need to ensure that you and your managers know how to handle this task
effectively, legally and safely
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Type of Employees being terminated (At-Will, Government, Contract).
- Review of the Company Termination Policy: Different termination reasons
- Federal & State Laws Related to Wrongful Termination
- Discipline process and termination paperwork
- How to conduct a termination meeting
- Severance Pay, Waivers of Legal Rights and Unemployment Claims: Key considerations for individual terminations and group layoffs.
- Post - termination legalities
- Workplace violence
Who can Benefit:
- Business Owners/Operators
- HR/Personnel Managers
- Department or Unit Managers
- Hiring Managers
- Any Manager or Employee with the responsibility of terminating other employees